twitter google

Coffee Reduces Risk of Liver Cancer

RMliver

For many of us, it is the first thing that we truly look forward to every morning and an essential element to starting the day off right. It is a staple for enjoying while catching up with friends, or simply just staying warm on a cold day. Its flavors have gone beyond the cup, and infiltrated just about every other category of food from the breakfast table to the dinner table and from sweet candy to savory baked goods – coffee is an industry all its own. And while coffee is enjoyed by billions across the globe every single day, a recent study suggests that coffee might hold an even greater spot in the world of medicine than once thought.

Experts reveal that coffee can reduce the risk of developing liver cancer, and its benefits are only multiplied the more you drink.

The report said: “The effect of coffee intake on cancer risk has been a topic of considerable interest, because coffee is the second most popular beverage worldwide, ranking behind tea only.

“Coffee contains large amounts of compounds with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anticarcinogenic properties such as caffeine, chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, and polyphenols, as well as diterpenes and other antioxidants were found in that beverage.”

In the UK, the statistics for liver cancer are startling. There are around 5,550 new cases of liver cancer each year and approximately 5,091 deaths from the disease.

“Britain has a growing love affair with coffee so these findings are important because, amongst other health areas that have been studied, they further show how moderate coffee consumption of around four or five cups per day can be part of a healthy, balanced diet,” says Chris Stemman, Executive Director of the British Coffee Association.

Although the British Liver Trust admits that drinking coffee can protect you from developing liver disease as well as help those who already have liver damage, it isn’t the only element to take into account. They go on to say that reducing the amount of alcohol we consume, as well as eating a healthy diet, drinking lots of water and regular exercise are also vital aspects of a healthy liver and a healthy life.

According to the report, just one cup a day lowered the risk of the disease by 22 per cent. Two cups reduced someone’s risk by 43 per cent. Three cups slashed the chance of liver cirrhosis by 57 per cent and four cups reduced the risk by a whopping 65 percent.

This is great news for those with liver damage and those at a higher risk of developing liver disease in the future.

So next time someone offers to top of your mug with a little more coffee, you might think twice and won’t feel bad about going back for seconds; or thirds.

Featured Product

Search

Recent